WHY ARE HEALTHY SNACKS IMPORTANT?
– Snacking is an effective way to fit extra nutrients into your diet and prevent overeating at mealtimes.
– According to a study approximately 97 percent of Americans snack, getting an average of 24 percent of their calories from snacks.
– With snacking providing this much of the day’s calories, choosing healthy options is crucial.
– Don’t snack right before a meal, and only eat a snack if you are truly hungry.
– Snacking out of boredom or for other emotional reasons isn’t healthy and can lead to overeating and weight gain.
– Most snacks should be around 100 calories, but if you need to use a snack in place of a meal, eat a slightly larger snack containing about 250 calories