1. Collect the clotted cream (malai) for a week or ten days depending on how much milk you heat up everyday.
2. To the cream at a starter culture of curd, 1 tsp to 250 ml (approx) of cream. Make sure that the curd that you add in is NOT the thick commercial (Amul, danone, nestle) kind as it will give you a sticky sour cream and the ghee will smell different. Ask your local dairy to give you some dahi to set your own and use that.
3. Mix the starter dahi and the cream well and leave it overnight (or a little longer, in cold weather). You would now get sour cream (which can also be used in baking, dips etc.).
4. Churn the sour cream using a ‘ravi’ to make it a little grainy and then add some water (about 1/4 cup) and churn again. Once the butter begins to separate and float up, add more water (about 1 cup) and churn again.
5. You would now have the butter floating on top and buttermilk at the bottom. Remove the butter ( I do this by hand) and keep in a thick bottomed non reactive utensil or kadhai. Use the buttermilk to make kadhi or pancakes.
6. Now, heat the butter on a low heat and stir occasionally. Do not keep the heat high as the butter will froth up and ruin your kitchen counter.
7. The butter will first become all liquid, then frothy and then after continuous boiling turn into clear yellow ghee. You know the ghee is done when the solid residue at the bottom turns light brown.
8. Once cooled, strain (or decant) the ghee into a clean jar and store at room temperature. If the ghee is not going to be consumed within a month, store it in the refrigerator.
9. The solid residue can be mixed with sugar and eaten with a hot fulka.
Search on HealthyFeasts
Popular posts on this site
- Healthy Breakfast Recipe: Akuri (Parsi style spicy scrambled eggs)
- My Aai's recipe: Fish Fry (tawa or griddle fry)
- Aakkha Masoor - Whole Lentils Curry ( Kolhapur style)
- Healthy Recipe: Mocha Cake
- Healthy Recipe: Cheese and Spring Onion Stuffed Omelette
- Cheers! It's FAT FREE!
- Lite Recipe: Vegetable Au Gratin (Baked Vegetables in Cream Sauce)
- Healthy and Easy: Baked Potato Wedges
- Healthy Recipe: Multigrain Methi Paratha
- Curry Twist Pasta : Easy Recipe
- The No. 1 trick to losing weight faster (No, it’s not exercise)
- Apurva gained 5 kg in 3 months and cured chronic acidity and poor vitamin D levels | My Client’s success story
- Tejas Mulay | Lost 20 kg in six months | My client’s success story
- Sneha lost 7 kg in 4 months and improved thyroid hormone levels | My Client’s Success Story
- Press Mention – Do the Detox | Free Press Journal
- Amita Gadre Kelkar
- Balanced Diet
- best dietitian in magarpatta city pune
- best dietitian in pune
- best nutritionist in pune
- Binge Eating
- chocolate cake
- chocolate cake with frosting
- chocolate frosting
- dietitian amita gadre kelkar
- dietitian in pune
- diet myths
- diet recipe
- easy breakfast
- easy jam recipe
- Easy Recipe
- emotional eating
- fast food
- food cravings
- Foodie Confessions
- health conscious
- healthy baking
- healthy breakfast
- Healthy Dip
- Healthy Snack
- healthy weight loss
- homemade bread
- Home made pasta
- indian recipe
- junk food
- loaf tin
- low cal chocolate cake
- Low Calorie
- maharashtrian recipe
- multigrain bread
- nutritionist amita gadre kelkar
- nutritionist in pune
- Self Invented diet
- sesame seeds
- soy sauce
- Weight Gain
- Weight Loss
- whole wheat
- whole wheat bread
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Whole Wheat Pasta