I typically make this easy grilled chicken on a Friday night or for a casual dinner with friends. This is so easy and healthy that even an absolute novice cook can put this together. The barbecue sauce is a cheat’s recipe but works even better (and cheaper!) than store-bought sauces especially because you can regulate the spices, the heat and the oil that goes in. Here I have used good quality fresh chicken drumsticks but you can easily use this for chicken wings or chicken lollipop.
You will need:
500 g chicken drumsticks
1/3 cup good quality tomato ketchup (I used Kissan)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp worscestershire sauce (optional)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 bay leaf (I used dried)
– Mix all of the ingredients except the chicken.
– Make cuts into the chicken drumstick so that the marinade can flavour the chicken completely.
– Coat the chicken well with the marinade and leave it in the bowl with the marinade for 30 mins.
– In a baking tray take a large piece of foil (enough to loosely cover the chicken). Place the chicken in the foil, pour over the marinade and bring the ends of the foil together leaving a little gap for the steam to pass.
– Grill for 30 mins at 250 degrees Celsius.
– Serve hot with chilled beer!