A nutritious and healthy wholemeal carrot cake to celebrate my 100th post on the Healthy Feasts blog. It took me three years to reach this blogging milestone. Hats off to all those bloggers who manage to do hundred posts in one year! I wonder when my other two blogs, the marathi Khaadaad Club and the reviews blog The Complete Foodie Paradise will reach 100 posts each. Long way to go! But till then, I am celebrating with our current favorite cake; this wholemeal carrot cake uses wholewheat flour, a good dose of carrots, brown sugar and oil, making it an ideal snack for a growing toddler. You would usually find a carrot cake frosted with a cream cheese frosting, but because this was made to celebrate my blogging milestone (and I don’t like frosted cakes), I have kept it as a plain tea cake.
Recipe adapted from the carrot cake recipe on the edible garden blog.
You will need:
3/4 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1 and 1/2 cup peeled, grated carrots (IMHO the orange english carrots make better carrot cake)
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease and dust with flour a cake pan of your choice, I used a 8 inch round cake pan.
– In a bowl, mix the flours, baking powder and soda and cinnamon powder.
– In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugars, salt, eggs, milk and oil till the sugar is almost dissolved.
– Mix in the flour mixture into the egg and sugar mix and fold it in till just combined.
– Now add the carrots to the batter and mix it well.
– Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes, the cake is done when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.