A chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. This is my favorite easy chocolate cake. Any time I have to gift someone a cake or bake one in a hurry, I end up using this recipe. The recipe for the cake is from the Sips and Spoonfuls blog. A moist, chococolatey chocolate cake with a light chocolate frosting. You can easily skip the frosting as the cake is divine just as it is or just top the cake with some fresh fruit (eg. berries) and dust with some icing sugar.
You will need:
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
a small pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and dust one 8 inch round cake pan.
– Measure and dump all the ingredients except coffee in a large mixing bowl. Mix it all together using a whisk to form a lumpy batter.
– Pour in the hot coffee and mix it well. The batter will suddenly become smooth, shiny and a but runny. Don’t be alarmed by the more liquid texture of the batter than for usual cakes. Its THE reason behind the cake being ultra moist.
– Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake the cake for 40-45 minutes till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
– Let the cake cool in the cake pan for 15 minutes and then transfer it to a wire rack.
– Frost the cake with a frosting of your choice once completely cooled. I have used a eye-balled chocolate frosting made using fresh cream, icing sugar, a bit of vanilla and good cocoa powder.