Complete with butter cream frosting et al, this cake was baked to celebrate R’s turning 4 months old. I guess one just needs an excuse!
Simple Chocolate Cake– This is a moist, not so chocolate-y cake. Ideal for frosting.
You will need:
1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (100 g) butter
4 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Prepare a baking tin greasing it with butter and dusting with some flour.
– Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together. Add the eggs and mix well till the sugar dissolves.
– Sift the cocoa, baking powder and flour together in a bowl. Gradually add this flour mix to the egg mixture and fold it well. Add the milk and mix well again till the batter falls in folds.
– Pour batter into the baking tin and bake for 40-45 mins till the cake is done.
Chocolate butter cream frosting (adapted from My Jhola’s recipe):
50 g butter
50 ml thick cream
4 tbsp full cream milk
2 tbsp cocoa
2 cups icing sugar ( I used finely ground sugar, made at home)
– Mix the butter, cream, cocoa and milk and then gradually keep adding the sugar, mixing well till you get the desired consistency. This makes a lot of frosting, so if you want to use all of it at once then I would suggest cutting the cake into half horizontally and filling it with the frosting as well as frosting the top. I stored the left over frosting in the fridge, it kept well for a week and then later used it to ice some cookies.