Homemade Wholemeal Pizza. Yet another post that I have been meaning to publish since a long long time. I first posted this on Khaadaad Club back in January. I have been asked by a lot of you to post this recipe in English- so here I am.
I am not particularly fond of pizza, especially the ones with oodles of sinful cheese are not my type at all. I would much rather eat a slow wood fire cooked thin crust pizza with hearty vegetable toppings and may be some some smoked/barbecue chicken thrown in. But the husband (M) loves his cheesy pizza, especially the cheese crust, cheese burst and double cheese types. This recipe was devised on a day when he just wanted to have pizza and was looking up his favorite pizza take away menu- ‘ Will you be fine with eating home made pizza? Like the kinds made from a scratch?’ I asked. Although, he looked skeptical, he agreed. I have made pizza at home from store bought pizza base a lot of times, but I had never made the base at home – before this successful attempt that is. I looked up the recipe for pizza base on a couple of sites on the net and figured that because I did not have at least two of the ingredients each of them asked for, I was going to have to improvise upon this myself. Here is how I went about it.
For the whole meal pizza base:
3 cups of wholemeal flour (You can also use a 1.5 cup of whole meal flour and 1.5 cup of all purpose flour, this gives a softer crust)
1 1/2 tbsp active dried yeast
1 tsp oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup lukewarm water
– Mix the yeast and sugar in the cup of lukewarm water and keep it aside for 15 mins till it becomes frothy.
– Take the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture and salt and bind it into a soft smooth dough. Add some more water if the dough is too hard.
-Cover this dough with cling film and keep aside for an hour till the dough doubles up. Knock back the dough, knead it well and divide it into four balls and cover and keep aside till it rises again.
– Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees. On a greased tray, flatten the ball of dough to make a pizza base with the flat of your palm and stretch it out with your fingers. Brush this top of the base with milk and make indentations on the top with a fork so that the air escapes and the base does not puff up. Bake this base in the oven for 10 minutes till the top is cooked.
For the pizza sauce:
5 ripe tomatoes, blended in the mixer to a smooth paste
2 tsp paprika or kashmiri red chilli powder
1 tsp fresh or dried herbs like basil and oregano
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
– In a sauce pan mix all of the ingredients of the sauce and simmer it stirring constantly till the sauce thickens. This sauce can also be prepared in advance and stored in a clean glass jar in the refrigerator- it keeps well for about 20 days.
– Once the pizza base is out of the oven, spread the pizza sauce on each base and cover it up with toppings of your choice. I have used cottage cheese, onions, mushrooms, spring onions. Sprinkle some grated pizza cheese (mix of mozzarella and Parmesan) on top and bake for 5-8 minutes at 180 degrees in a preheated oven till the cheese on top melts.
– Cut with a pizza cutter or a sharp knife into slices and serve hot!