This is my mom’s classic recipe- every time she would give me this Bhindi Masala in my packed lunch, it would have me and my friends licking off every tiny bit and polishing off the bottom of the lunch box. Today, I do manage a 99% match, but nothing can beat the one that Mommy dear makes!
You will need:
250 grams lady’s finger (okra, Bhindi), sliced
3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 medium sized onions, thinly sliced
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
– Heat the oil in a non stick pan and sizzle the mustard a bit. Then add the ginger and chillies to the oil and saute for a bit.
– Next add onions and saute till the onions soften and then add some salt to it so that the onions dont burn.
– Now add the tomatoes and saute till they shrink and cook.
– Next comes the bhindi/okra, this has to be mixed well with the tomato onion masala. Add the salt and sugar. Mix well and cover for 1 minute. If you keep this covered for longer, the bhindi will become sticky.
– The bhindi is tested cooked when you can insert a fork in it easily or break it with the edge of a ladle.
– Serve hot!